14 Ways to Apply for Turkish Residency
Short Term Residency
Who can apply?
1. Foreigners who arrive to conduct scientific research.
Foreigners who apply for residency for this reason are required to obtain a license from the relevant institutions/organisations (i.e The Ministry of Culture and Tourism, Ministry of Energy, universities etc.) if the scientific research is subject to permission. If not, it’s required to present a statement applying to the research subject.
2. Owners of immovable property in Turkey;
Foreigners that own immovable property in Turkey can apply, the property must be a house, and used as such. If your property is a shared or cooperated property covering family members, application may also be made for these family members.
3. Foreigners who visit to establish business or commercial connections;
If a residency permit is required for more than 3 months for this purpose – an invitation letter or similar document is required from the persons or company involved.
4. Foreigners who come to participate in on-the-job training programmes;
Residency will be granted for the duration of the training, based on the documents outlining details of the training, duration, location etc. This is to be provided by the state institution/organisation.
5. Foreigners attending educational or similar programmes as part of student exchange programme or agreement to which the Republic of Turkey is a party;
Foreigners applying under this title, will need to obtain documents from the relevant institutions. Residency will not be extended over the end of the educational programme.
Students in the scope of exchange programs (Erasmus, Mevlana, Farabi vb.) will not be required to submit an additional health insurance as long as they are registered to the Social Security Institution (SGK), general health insurance within three months from the date of enrolment. However, they are required to take out a private health policy unless they are registered to the Social Security Institution (SGK) and fail to take advantage of being covered by the Social Security Institution (SGK) general health insurance.
6. Foreigners who wish to stay for tourism purposes;
The statement on matters concerning travel plans (where, when and how long to stay, etc.) of the foreigners who wish to stay for tourism purpose will be taken into consideration. The documents and information may be required to submit if necessary.
7. Foreigners receiving medical treatment, provided that they do not have a disease posing a public health threat;
Foreigners travelling to turkey for medical treatment must be admitted to a public or private hospital. Valid health insurance conditions are not required if the individual’s health care treatments are already paid. The residence permit will be issued for the duration of the treatment.
Documents and information regarding treatment might be required from related public institutions and agencies if necessary.
The residence permit procedures of care takers of the foreigners under the scope of existing "Health Cooperation Agreements" (unless there is an additional general provision regarding care takers) are carried out based on general provisions.
Furthermore, valid health insurance is not required for residence permit applications of care takers of the foreigner not exceeding two persons, according to the additional Article 14 of Health Services Fundamental Law No 3359.
8. Foreigners who need to stay in Turkey awaiting a decision of judicial or administrative authorities:
The duration of the residence permit for this will be issued by taking into consideration the duration stated on the decision and demand.
9. Foreigners who transfer from a family residence permit;
10. Foreigners who come to attend a Turkish language course;
A residency permit can be issued a maximum of twice for this purpose. Permission of the Ministry of National Education in Turkey will be required.
If the course period is under 1 year, the residency permit duration may not be longer than the period of the course.
The institution providing the course is responsible for reporting the commencement and attendance of the foreigner registered to the Turkish course. This information should be reported to the Provincial Directorate.
11. Foreigners attending an education programme, research, internship or course with a public agency.
The residency permit cannot be longer than a year for this purpose. If accommodation, subsistence and health are covered by public institutions, valid health insurance will not be required for the duration of the stay. Documents and information will be required from the relevant institutions.
12. Foreigners who apply within six months upon graduation from a higher education programme in Turkey;
If the foreigners apply within six months upon graduation for this purpose, the residence permit is issued only once. It can be issued for a maximum of one year.
13. Foreigners who do not work in Turkey, but make an investment within the scope and amount that shall be determined by the Council of Ministers, and their foreign spouses, his and her foreign minor children or foreign dependent children;
The residence permit based on this purpose is issued for a maximum of five years.
The purpose of the changes which International Labour Law numbered 6735 generated in the Law numbered 6458 is to promote foreigner investment to the national economy and to provide convenience to them on residence permit application.
14. Citizens of Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus;
The residence permit based on this purpose is issued for five-year period at most.
For How Long Can The Short Residence Permit Be Issued?
Short-term residence permit is issued for a maximum of a two-year period each time - except for foreigners mentioned in the 13th and 14th items listed above.
What Are The Conditions For Short-Term Residence Permit?
The foreigner is required to fulfill the conditions stipulated in Article 32 of the Law No. 6458 to have short-term residence permit.
- To submit supporting information and documents regarding the reason of stay in Turkey,
- Not to fall within the scope of Article 7 of the relevant law,
- To live in accommodation conditions that conform to general health and safety standards,
- Upon request, to present criminal record certificate issued by the competent authorities in their country of citizenship or legal residence,
- To submit information on their address of stay in Turkey.
What Are The Reasons Of Refusal, Non-Renewal Or Cancelation Of Short-Term Residence Permit?
Under the following cases a short-term residence permit shall not be granted, and will be cancelled if it has already been issued, and will not be renewed in the following cases:
- one or more of the conditions provided for short-term residence permit are not met or no longer apply.
- it is established that the residence permit is used outside the purposes of those it is issued for.
- there is a current removal decision or an entry ban to Turkey in respect to the foreigner.
- upon violation regarding the period which is lived outside of Turkey.
YellAli can help you with all of your residency permit requirements - we help make the process as smooth and stress-free as possible. Contact us to today for further information and a quotation.
To receive the Latest News in Turkey, Free Expat Advice and much more :
Sign up FREE to YellAli