Ali's Articles

Submit your own blog

Getting married in Turkey - New marriage procedures

10th March 2014

For British nationals getting married in Turkey ; as of the 1st March 2014 there is a new marriage procedure.

There is no longer a requirement for British nationals marrying in Turkey to obtain a Certificate of No Impediment (CNI) in the UK or a Turkish version. Instead the process will be as follows:

Each British national getting married in Turkey will now complete the new Affidavit of Marital Status form. If the couple are both British nationals they will need two forms, one in each name.

If you are resident in the UK

If you are a resident in the UK you need to complete the bilingual Affidavit/Affirmation form.

The Affidavit for each person will then have to be signed and witnessed in person by a notary public in the UK .

The Affidavit for each person is then posted to the FCO Legislation Department in Milton Keynes, UK - see this link to be legalised.
Then you will submit this document to local marriage office in the town where you are going to get married.

If you are resident in Turkey

If you are a British citizen residing in Turkey, you need to complete the bilingual Affidavit/Affirmation form. You can then book an appointment at the British Embassy Ankara or consulates in Istanbul, Izmir or Antalya for administering your oath/affirmation. 

The Affidavit for each will then have to be signed and witnessed in person at the British Embassy in Ankara or Consulates in Istanbul, Izmir or Ankara.

The Affidavit for each is then legalised by either the MFA if in Ankara or the Governor’s office in Istanbul, Izmir or Antalya.

Once the Affidavits are legalised the documentation is complete. The validity period for this document is 180 days.

The Affidavits will be the official document required by the local marriage office in whichever town/area you are marrying in. The marriage office will need to see your passports too.

Required Documents:
- Affidavit/Affirmation

- Full Birth certificate and passport- both translated into Turkish by a certified notary in Turkey or the Turkish embassy or consulate in their count. 

- A divorce or death certificate of previous spouse if married before.

- Health certificate: issued following a medical examination at the State Medical Institution (Sağlık Ocağı or Devlet Hastanesi) specified by the chosen registry office.

- Photos: six passport-size photos.

- Deed Poll: if the birth name has been officially change.

- Adoption certificate: if adopted.

- Letter of consent from a parent or guardian: if under 18.

- Accommodation document: If you are a foreign couple not residing in Turkey then you need to provide a letter from the hotel you are staying at stating the duration of stay and departure date.


Enjoy this Blog? read more Blogs:-Getting married in Turkey and what you need to know    |   What is YellAli ?   |   VIEW ALL BLOGS

Please login to comment

username or email